ANSWERS TO ASHLEY ACADEMY FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Helpful information for new families joining Ashley Academy:
- The first day of school is a full day.
- Lunch will not be served for the first week of school so plan to pack something for your child. There is a designated snack time in the mornings for pre-kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Parents can begin dropping off children at 7:30 a.m. at the gym. Children will be supervised in the gym by faculty and they will be dismissed at 7:45 a.m. to go to their classrooms. There is an early room drop off at 7:00 a.m. for an additional cost.
- Class begins at 7:50 a.m. Students should be in their seats ready to start the day.
- School is dismissed at 3:15 p.m.
- After dismissal, parents have 15 minutes to pick up their children before they go to Extended Care. If children are picked up after 3:30 p.m., the Extended Care daily rate will apply. Please pick up your child by 3:30 p.m. to avoid incurring Extended Care fees.
- Individuals who are allowed to pick up your child must be listed on the Student Information Contact List. Individuals not listed will be required to show a form of picture identification before a child will be released into their custody.
- An informational parent-teacher meeting is held at the beginning of the school year. This is a time for teachers to explain curriculum goals, individual classroom discipline policies, and any other plans for the year. You will receive information at the beginning of August.
- A menu for lunch is provided each month and families will order through Renweb. Fees for lunch, ice cream, and drinks will be billed to the parents each month. You do not need to send lunch money each day. Lunchroom coordinators keep a tally sheet of food and drink items consumed by the students if the items were not ordered through the menu located on Renweb.
- Fees for Extended Care are billed monthly.
- Box Tops are labels from grocery items that parents are asked to collect. Please save these labels all year long even when school is not in session. These are redeemed for cash and used to purchase items of benefit to all students.
- Tardy students (after 7:50 a.m.) and students arriving to school late in the day should check in at the office before proceeding to their classroom.
- Parents needing to check out a student prior to dismissal should report to the office and not go directly to the classroom. Parents visiting or volunteering on campus should obtain a visitor’s pass in the office.
- Land’s End polo shirts in cobalt blue with the Ashley Academy logo are the required dress for school field trips. They are to be ordered at Lands’ End (https://www.landsend.com). The preferred school number is 9001-039-1.
- Keep your email address up to date with the office. This is a primary form of communication between the administration and our families. Also, school closings due to weather and other news is emailed.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
How car line works for Arrival and Dismissal
The car line lane is on the right side of the parking lot. In the morning, pull up to the gym entrance to let your child out of your vehicle. In the afternoon, get in the car line lane and your student(s) will be brought to the car by teachers and/or safety patrol. Please remain in the line until the cars ahead of you advance.
Parents of kindergarten through eighth grade students, who prefer to walk their child to the car, will sign them out at the designated gym door. The car line will have priority so use caution when walking across this designated lane.
Parents of pre-kindergarten students are required to park and pick up their child from the classroom.
So that traffic does not extend into Knob Creek Road, use the circle in front of the office to enter the car line (this helps extend the line of cars). The first few days of school, every family tends to be on time, and the line can be long. Please be patient during this time.
The car line lane should flow smoothly and not be blocked. Do not park and leave your car unattended in this lane. Do not park at the flag pole or let your child out at the flag pole as this keeps the car line from flowing smoothly.
When Not Using the Car Line
If you are not using the car line, use the left lane when entering the school and space in the parking lot. In the morning, use a parking spot if time is needed to unload students, backpacks, class projects, etc.
Other Parking and Traffic Considerations
- Entrance to the school is on Knob Creek Road, not on Lacy Street.
- You should exit campus on Lacy Street.
- Vehicles should never be left unattended or parked in the car line.
- Please observe the one way traffic through the Ashely Academy campus.
- There is a 10 mph speed limit in the school parking lot.
- Please do not park under the pine trees along the fence on Lacy Street because cars obstruct the views of those who are exiting the campus, and vehicles in this area crowd the road for the general traffic along the street. We strive to maintain a good relationship with our neighbors along Lacy Street, and they appreciate you NOT parking under the pine trees, too.
- If you see someone not following the rules, try to be patient. Do not do as they do because this will just add to the problem.
- Pick-up and drop-off times are not suitable for parent/teacher conferences. Some teachers are designated to work in the car line lane and have duties to perform. Other teachers are busy supervising children in the gym. Unless you have only a quick question, ask a teacher to talk with you after pick-up time ends at 3:30 p.m.